Here is a podcast of an interview Derek Woodgate gave on Inkandescent Radio.
Our Future Entertainment and Events Lab – FEEL – (www.thesenseevent.com) has won an exciting project to create, curate and produce the Annual Gathering for the Association of Professional Futurists. More news to follow!
As The Futures Lab enters its 19th year of operation, I am pleased to report that 2014 was both a very successful and transformative year.
On the foresight consulting front we undertook some exciting projects both directly and through our sister company in London (Your Future (London) and our satellite offices. These included foresight work for Kelloggs, AKZO-Nobel, Phillips, the BBC, Intercontinental Hotels and Whitbread amongst others.
Then there was the expansion and consolidation of our Future Entertainment and Events Lab (FEEL)(previously Plutopia Productions) www.thesenseevent.com, where we created, curated and produced STEAM³ – The Future of Education,a conference and interactive playground, which was held in March at the University of Texas’s Commons Learning Center. www.steam3.com. We will be holding a similar event together with Georgia State University in September 2015.
We also added a non-profit arm LIFE (Learning Innovations in Future of Education) www.http://livinglearning.co/, which besides being very involved with the STEAM³ event, undertook to create a fully self-contained mobile learning course on The Future of Mobile Learning for the University of Adger in Norway, with our President, Derek Woodgate as the class instructor and Maggie Duval, the Chair of LIFE providing all the back end design and set up. Derek Woodgate has since been made an Adjunct Professor at the University of Adger and will be teaching a Future of Media course in Spring 2015. He is also an Adjunct Professor at Georgia State University, where he teaches The Future of Entertainment and Learning through The Futures Lab’s foresight process. Also in 2014, Maggie Duval, taught at the Skybridge Academy in Austin.
TFL’s focus over the past decade has been firmly placed on the future of entertainment and media, education, culture and new communities. Consequently, Derek Woodgate has continued to be in wide demand to speak on these subjects and 2014 was no exception with a keynote role at the MMC and numerous engagements at conferences and universities.
2015 has already set off at a whirl and we are anticipating another exciting, successful year and wish you all the same.
Also a very happy New Year to my speaker’s bureau Inkandescent: http://inkandescentspeakers.com/speakers/86/derek-woodgate
I have had a wonderful year speaking at so many conferences, seminars and universities on a variety of topics, ranging from the future of media and experiential entertainment to major transformations in economic, learning and urban systems as well as new thinking systems, emerging lifestyles and Human 2.0. In particular how redefined identities, archetypes, and the augmented self are creating a “Remix Society” .
For this unique two-day event held in Austin, TX we’ve assembled some of the world’s foremost experts in the field of future education as well as the most innovative and immersive demonstrations and exhibits of emerging educational technologies!
Special topics to include alternative approaches to education,avatars for learning, education is art, art is education, and more!
The event itself is only the beginning of our journey. It will continue through a number of similar events that we are planning for Atlanta, GA, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, and Manchester, UK, as well as through an online post-event portal and virtual and in-person salons.
Who is it for?
- Instructional designers
- Learning content creators
- Mobile development designers
- 3D/Virtual world designers
- Parents/General public
Derek considers thinking techniques beyond systems thinking that are better suited to creating revolutionary futures that best leverage discontinuous change and create new paradigms by connecting unexpected disconnects. Drawing on rhizomatic thinking and other techniques.
Derek gives specific examples of the application of these techniques to client projects undertaken successfully by The Futures Lab, Inc.
Derek builds a fresh approach to futures work using thinking techniques such as:
- Think like a DJ/ The Remix
- Amorphoscapes and random worlds
- Think the unthinkable
- Collision – asymmetries
- Biomimicry – bionomics
- Parallel Realities
- Convergent disconnects
- Magical and Alchemical
An in depth article on the Future of Advertising by Derek Woodgate.
- The four interacting layers making up the strategic architecture for the coming revolution in the world of advertising mean that in the coming decade, the field will likely establish that lifestyle spheres are more important than the format itself.
- The ability for players to adapt and offer alternatives in real-time, based on consumer reaction/response or degree of engagement will be paramount to creating brand and offering desirability and uptake.
- This revolution in the whole advertising will demand the need for substantial changes to business models/financial structures; types of agencies/players; new creative tools and production techniques; and new content providers.
- This revolution will simultaneously provide a whole new world of amazing opportunities.
- The ability to leverage these opportunities will depend on how agile, fluid, and responsive the advertising industry can become to the real-time needs of the changing human (especially the coming 18-24 year olds), the power of emerging technologies, and the potential that will be provided by new creative approaches, formats, delivery systems, and reception environments.
- Personalized, yet often socially mediated interactive advertising, delivered in blended formats across multiple platforms and media simultaneously, will demand a rethink on the whole concept of advertising as it becomes more and more integrated into everyday life and behaviors.
- The impending advertising revolution will deliver a whole range of hitherto unknown augmented sensory experiences and environments that are both exciting and engaging.
- While providing a greater level of meaningfulness to the consumer, advertisers will be able to better identify and understand what role and pleasure advertising contributes to our overall human development.
In the Age of Upheaval, in which we are witness to significant economic, social and fiscal transformation; the complexities of the global economic playground are as influential as the small entrepreneur’s intuitive play when it comes to the holistic development of the local business environment. With emerging markets, in particular the BRICs and Indonesia projected to contribute over 70% of total global economic growth over the next decade and the BRIC economies expected to provide over 50% of global GDP by 2020, we are seeing not just the rise of a new economic order, but moreover creation of an intricate collaborative battleground, which will have a major impact at all levels and layers.
Derek explores and discusses how this expanding arena and its resulting policies will influence economic, business and lifestyle shifts at the regional and local level.
He considers everything from workforce structures and adaptive enterprises, to a flourishing global talent market, disparate labor force demographics, masses of new middle class customers, complex financial integration, rapid innovation and technological development, as well as exciting opportunities for new converged industries, alternative social-economic structures, greater inclusion and the power of community.
Derek draws upon his work on the “Remix Society”, (with its redefinition of archetypes, identities and the augmented self) and its impact on education, innovation and entrepreneurship – three areas considered critical to the continuing the global position of the US economy.
Below is the link to the Podcast of Derek Woodgate speaking on multiple aspects of the future including:
- The Futures Lab—what it is, why he started it, and what the organization is working on today.
- The big companies he’s worked with, and how the research he’s done for them played out in their business and society at large.
- His work on the Future of Play—and how it impacts small businesses.
- His books, including your newest, Future Flow to be published this year.
- And, the emerging issues that small business owners need to be aware of.